Snack Time: Homemade Kettle Corn
I grew up eating candy on the regular, and I'm convinced my brain is permanently wired to crave sweet. After dinner is especially hard - in our house, one of us always comments on wanting to eat something sweet after we've finished our last meal of the day. After failing time & time again, I have learned that the only way (for me) to avoid giving into this craving is to not buy the sweets. I've been really good lately about walking right past the Ginger n' Cream Newman O's at the store (they are just soooo good). I am not naïve enough to think that the amount of sugar, etc in the Newman O's is less than what is in Oreos just because they have healthier ingredients. Eating an entire row of organic cookies is still not okay.
On the nights where my sweet tooth is out of control (ok, most nights) - this popcorn is an easy and fast go-to snack that satisfies my craving and then some. Perfect for when you're craving salty + sweet, with this 10 minute snack, you have the ability to up the sweet or the salt depending on what you're in the mood for. Win-win.
10 Minute Kettle Corn
- Whole Kernel Corn
- Coconut Oil
- Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- Pink Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt
- Use a 1:3 ratio for coconut oil:corn kernels (I used my 1/3 cup measuring cup to make popcorn for 2 people, using a bit under 1/3 cup for the sugar). Separate ingredients.
- Using a large pot + a lid, heat the oil.
- Add corn kernels + sugar. Stir, then place the lid on the pot.
- Let the corn kernels heat up for about 4-5 minutes, shaking the pot once a minute until the first kernel pops.
- With oven mitts on (for safety!), hold the pot about 1/2 inch above the heat and shake pot continuously.
- Continue this until all the kernels have popped. It happens fast!
- Transfer the hot kernels into a large heat safe bowl. Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, stir the popcorn.
- Add some himalayan salt, stir, and repeat until you've added as much salt as desired.
- Put your pajamas on and sit on the couch to enjoy.