Cheesy Quinoa Comfort Food
Yes - this is a photo of an empty bowl. By the time I realized I needed to document and share this quick, savory, comfort-food lunch, nothing remained. This is one of those dishes that is almost too good. The never ending Polar Vortex has me in the kitchen crafting healthier ways to meet my cold weather cravings. Packed with whole milk + cheddar cheese (always organic with dairy), this dish is high in protein and definitely meets my Mac & Cheese requirement. I can only tolerate dairy in moderation, so I treat this dish as a treat for us when it's deceivingly frigid outside. It's quick, easy, and there's always enough left for some grab & go lunches for work.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4-1/2 cup organic shredded cheddar
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Combine milk, water, quinoa, mustard, and onion in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to boil. Cover, and lower to a simmer. Leave the lid on while it cooks for 15-20 minutes or liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer half of the cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle on half of the cheese. Layer the rest of the quinoa, and the rest of the cheese.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold cheese into the quinoa. The quinoa will be really hot so the cheese will melt quickly. Be careful not to be aggressive with your stirring: cooked quinoa can turn to mush, and if you are gentle it will maintain it's texture!
Bump up your nutrition by eating this dish with a green veggie side: steamed broccoli, roasted brussels sprouts, or sautéed spinach would all be delish! If you are feeling like you've got a little bit of extra time, substitute the granulated onion for fresh chopped onion and add it at the beginning with everything else.