You might remember this post of the original Cheesy Quinoa comfort food. TAKE TWO: Fall temps are here and I'm ready to dive back into full-on comfort food mode, starting by sharing this version of my Cheesy Quinoa Deliciousness. The season of raw foods has passed: according to Ayurvedic cooking, eating warm + cooked food balances the Vata dosha, which tends to go awry for most folks when the Autumn winds blow.
If dairy isn't your thing, move right along. I suppose you could always sub your favorite non-dairy milk and whatever version of "cheese" you like to eat, but I can't guarantee the same heavenly, melt-in-your-mouth outcome.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded raw cheddar (any cheese will do, but this is what I prefer)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or granules, more flavor!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked fresh peppercorns
CHOOSE from the following green veggies, adding one, or a couple, or go crazy and add 'em all (woah):
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of steamed broccoli
- 1 cup spinach (no need to saute)
- 1 cup steamed green beans
HOW TO PREPARE IT:
- Add milk + water to a medium sized saucepan, bring to boil. Add quinoa, onion granules, and ground mustard. Stir with whisk. Cover, simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer half of the cooked quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Add half the cheese. Repeat.
- GENTLY fold in whatever veggies you've chosen. Gentle is key - otherwise, your quinoa will get mushy. No likey mushy quinoa.
- Top with your himalayan salt + pepper.
- Wah-LAH! It's done. Now eat it up for any meal: breakfast, lunch OR dinner!
Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments. Enjoy your comfort food!